Monday, February 10, 2014

About Me

Hello! 

My name is Emma O'Connell and I am a junior double major in advertising and graphic design at UNL. I'm not quite sure exactly what I want to do when I graduate, hopefully something super awesomely cool. 

My opinion on food: 

I have a tendency to actually really enjoy food that has high fructose corn syrup/corn in it (ex: candy, McNuggets, etc) so this class has been interesting to me and I have really been thinking a lot more about the food I am eating. 

Thoughts on Research and Destroy

I find this article very accurate and extremely informative. It really elaborates on the issue at hand, the issue in which designers are constantly at work making the latest "new thing" look even cooler than the one you have. But as the article states, is this really what we need, or is this only generated out of want? When need is removed from the situation the future of graphic design will be open to new paths, in which the designer can use this opportunity to redesign himself.
 I really like the part where the author refers to the designer as an "artist, editor, author, initiator, skillful rhetorician, architect…" because I feel as if that really sums up all the processes a designer must go through when creating a new design. It continues to say that in addition to all this the designer must do other things besides designing in order to further advance in their careers.

Thoughts on The Omnivore's Dilemma

I found this article to be very interesting as well. After summarizing our country's national drinking binge that took place in the 1800's, he states outcome of this was not so nearly as relevant as the fact that American farmers were simply producing too much corn! This is extremely similar to our situation today. After watching the King Corn documentary it is clear that farms are becoming much larger, therefore in turn producing extraordinarily large amounts of corn each year.

"As George Naylor said, growing corn is the most efficient way to get energy — calories — from an acre of Iowa farmland."

This seems to me like it forms a direct relationship with the obesity epidemic (and yes it is now declared an official epidemic) going on in the United States today. The cheapest food at the supermarket is also the most densely calorie packed, and similarly have the most corn products in them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment